Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Good News and Bad News!

First some good news: I'M BACK! I took a hiatus (from blogging, not saving the planet). Yes. I know. Good news for whom? Well...for me.

More good news: my eco foot print (http://www.myfootprint.org/) is now down to 3.3 PLANETS. Pretty sweet, eh? All due to me moving to NYC (more on this below). Improvements are still necessary, but I was pretty happy to see the change.

The update about the "eco-ness" of my new city with the bad news interspersed: I'M OFFICIALLY A NEW YORKER, and as such, I sold my car and now live in an apartment with a roommate. All of which have helped lower my Ecological Footprint to 15 acres. Of course, the move has also prompted the need for a lot of new items. Boo. Acacia and I (shout out, Roomie!) are doing pretty well with the second-hand finds (silverware, bread machine, table), but there's still a large influx of new items (IE: new material, lots of packaging, and most of it made in China). We're workin' on it, though (emphases on work. This savin' the planet thing ain't easy). Craigslist is pretty rad. Then there's the new job and new climate, meaning new clothes (i've never needed slacks and collars before...ack! and yes, I've lived in the cold, but I've never had to walk a mile or two (depending on the day) in it). On top of that is the air time. I've racked up quite a few hours flying now that I'm not located in the destination point. That'll slow once the holidays are over...till next year. I've heard about programs in which you can cancel your emissions by buying trees or donating to renewable energy sources (or something like that). I'll look into it.

Immediate goals: diet! Somewhere along the line (I think it was when my body was crying out for protein in the middle of Japan) I REGRESSED INTO QUITE THE CARNIVORE. Less meat it is (see blog "Buying Close to the Source). Also, getting fresh ingredients when a trip the store is a half day venture is so much work (especially when you're limited to what you can carry for roughly 8 blocks and a subway ride). Man...more effort. *heavy sigh.*

I'll finish here. I could go on for days, but for the first post in over 2 months (shoot...I really am a slacker), I think that'll do.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Go Planet!

No comments: